Texas can be one of the hottest states to live in, and during the summer it’s hardly avoidable. In Royse City, temperatures sometimes rise higher than 100 degrees with humidity levels around 83%, sometimes it’s difficult to breathe out there. What an incredible relief it is when you come home after a long day’s work and crank up the air conditioner. Don’t forget that to enjoy that relief, you need to maintenance your unit and get repairs if need be. Remember, humidity can actually decrease the effectiveness of your air conditioner. There are a few things you can do yourself to maintain your central air conditioning unit properly, but the rest should really be up to an HVAC professional.
One maintenance procedure you can safely do yourself is changing the system’s filters. When filters collect dust and debris they could potentially cause damage to your machine. These filters should be changed once a month. A professional can teach you where to locate the old filter, and how to insert a new one correctly. Aside from showing you how to change the unit’s filter, the HVAC licensed professional can also assess and inspect your unit thoroughly.
The basic 5 assessment areas are as follows:
- The lubrication of moving parts- Worn down parts can cause the motor to use up more power, essentially costing you more money on utility bills.
- Checking the thermostat- The HVAC technician will check that the thermostat is registered at the correct temperatures, therefore keeping you comfortable while you’re home, and helping you save money while you’re away.
- Inspect system controls- A professional will inspect the start and shut off of your machine to check that it is working properly. They will examine the starting cycle of the unit to ensure that it is running safely.
- Inspect and check the condensate drain- a drain that is clogged can result in a rise in humidity in your home and could lead to water damage in the house. The condensate drain should be inspected when the unit is in cooling mode.
- Tighten the electrical connections- Loose or faulty electrical connections can be harmful, they can reduce the life of your air conditioner and make it dangerous to use your system.
Please do not attempt any of these procedures on your own, they are meant to be handled by a licensed and properly trained professional HVAC specialist. This can be a dangerous assessment if you are not properly equipped to handle the job. Once a technician has looked over all of the areas of your machine, he or she may ask if you have any questions, feel free to ask anything you would like to know.
We are here to help you with all of your heating and cooling needs. If your unit needs to be inspected, repaired or simply needs maintenance done to it, please don’t hesitate to give us a call. We strive to meet the satisfaction of our customers 100%.